Join Watershed Mentoring Saturday, January 14, 2012, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Swanton Teen Center, Swanton, Vermont. Call Cindy or Beth at 527-5049 for more information.
Mentoring Resources and Tips for Developing Service-Learning Partnerships
Did You Know?
January is National Mentoring Month! Now in its 11th year, National Mentoring Month focuses attention on the need for mentors, as well as how each of us — individuals, businesses, government agencies, schools, faith communities and nonprofits — can work together to increase the number of mentors to assure brighter futures for our young people.Together, the Harvard School of Public Health, MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership and the Corporation for National and Community Service are working to focus national attention on the need for mentors. This year’s National Mentoring Month theme is Invest in the future. Mentor a child. Use the following tips to help inspire you to start mentoring or continue mentoring successful kids.
10 THINGS TO DO IN JANUARY (from the National Mentoring Month website)
1. Become a mentor in your community.
2. Learn more about mentoring: Visit www.nationalmentoringmonth.org and Search Institute online for more information on mentoring.
3. Partner with a mentoring organization.
4. Tell five friends about National Mentoring Month.
5. Think about the mentors in your life and post a tribute to them online. Share your mentoring story on our Facebook page here.
6. Read research and find resources on mentoring. Get resources from Search Institute here.
7. Serve your community on MLK Day of Service by deciding to become a mentor.
8. Make a donation to a mentoring organization in your community.
9. Go to YouTube on Thank Your Mentor Day™ (January 26) and make the National Mentoring Month videos the most popular of the day.
10. Explore ways to help children succeed academically through mentoring. Learn more here.